I’ve been on an unofficial hiatus as I race to finish the first draft of my next book. Honestly, it’s not going as well as I had hoped. But I have two weeks and a commitment to finish this thing in time. In the meantime, I’m going to re-share some posts from years past. I think they are worth another read. This one was originally posted July 13, 2016. Enjoy!
Lately I’ve allowed myself to dwell in a negative place. I have accepted others’ pessimism and allowed them to gripe and complain to me. I participate in expressing our mutual displeasure about the environment. I have wallowed in sweet treats, feeling sorry for myself because I feel like I’m “stuck.” But the fact is, it could really be a lot worse. Next week I get to hit the reset button on my attitude about my “dreadful thing.” But instead of focusing on the negative, I will look inside and think about all the things that make me happy:
1. That first sip of coffee.
2. Walking in the park and seeing dewy grass sparkle like emeralds.
3. A cool breeze.
4. The sound of a child’s laughter.
5. Watching a sleeping baby.
6. Seeing my niece and nephews grow up (although this one’s a bit bittersweet).
7. Chocolate: in any shape or form.
8. Being healthy.
9. A good book and having time to read it.
10. A smile from a handsome man.
11. Giving and receiving a hug.
12. A good laugh.
13. Law and Order marathons.
14. Snapped marathons
15. Seeing a sunset.
16. Knowing that any “dreadful place” is only temporary.
It is so important to look for the bright side of any situation. Sometimes that side is on something else. But as long as it’s within reach, we can get through any dark patch. So shake off the sadness, turn a deaf ear to Negative Ned and Debbie Downer, and find your own happy.
What are you expressing gratitude for today?